Sunday 19 November 2017

My Autopilot Brain

The human brain’s a lazy beast
In terms of work, it prefers the least
Given any chance, habits will form
Much less thinking - that’s the norm!

Take my drive to work each day
“How’d I get here?” I often say
I don’t remember turning right
What colour was that traffic light?

And the left turn, way back there
I hope I did that one with care
All those road signs - I paid no heed
Fingers crossed I didn’t speed.

You see, my brain takes a little break
As if the commute’s “a piece of cake”
Believing that there’s nothing to it
Means “autopilot” gets to do it.

Please brain, stay on for common tasks
It’s really not too much to ask
Driving demands more attention
So do other things I’d like to mention.

Stay switched on when I’m going out
So I’m not left to stress about
Whether I’ve locked the front door
Turned off the iron, oven, and more.

And, wherever I go, when I get there
Come on - show a bit more care
Lift your game, please, raise the bar
So I can recall if I’ve locked the car!

Dear brain, don’t worry or despair
Just work a bit harder, it’s only fair
For now though, I will call it a day
I've forgotten what else I was going to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This Blog is on the Move

Hi everyone. Exciting times ahead - I am creating a website and moving this blog across. Once it's all up & running, you can find ...